Ed's Letter - Issue 33 - Big news, people...
After six years of wandering the curious and absurd highways and by-ways of this multifaceted trade; six years of charting all the movers and shakers in the eclectic world of Mid-century, Mantiques, Decorative and Vintage; we’re inviting you to step into the pages of VE with our very own show, Arc Eclectic held in partnership with Arc Events. Find out more here www.arceclectic.com
And because you’re our readers and we value your good taste, we’re offering 50 per cent off the normal entry price. Plus we’ll even give you a free cuppa on arrival – because that’s the way we roll!
And, while you’ve got your diary open, why not jot down some of the other fabulous events on the horizon that you won’t want to miss? (Or just click on our online Events Calendar – it’s easier!) From the decorative to the salvaged, motoring to music, the Roaring Forties to the Atomic Age, plus a great selection of flea markets, antiques and collectors’ fairs – blimey this summer’s going to be one to remember!
One of the things we love most about our world is the people. It’s not that they’re eccentric – because what’s normal anyway? It’s that they march to the beat of their own drum. Two very different chaps, living in two very different corners of the UK, and up to two very different kinds of shenanigans, show us what life’s like in their world.
On our own home turf of Dorset, meet upcycler, artist and restorer Edward Oliver, inspired by the rustic surroundings of his quirky 18th century stable block. Meanwhile in tweedy Norfolk, we get to beard Captain Fawcett in his den! The whiskery one’s office-cum-museum is filled with period pieces from roll-top desks and barber’s chairs to potions and packaging and all manner of moustache guards. (Are they like the Horse Guards? You’ll have to take a look and see for yourself...).
Phew, that’s about enough for one issue. But – be prepared – with our next magazine we’ll be bringing you twice the fun! Our special bumper June/July issue has more articles, more pages and more colour than you’ve ever seen before!
As well as all the summer salvage shows, we’ll snoop round two dealers’ retro-inspired homes – one here in the UK and the other Sur Le Continent; we’ll bring you all the gen on Enamel Advertising Signs and the latest word on Decorative Veg – yes, you read that right – plus... oh, way too much to list here. You’ll just have to wait and see!
- The Fame Gain - A celebrity owner, it seems, sprinkles stardust on any object. Could you be bewitched?
- Naturally Charming - It seems we’re not the only business in Sherborne that the design-conscious need to know about - meet Edward Oliver Smith
- Fair Play - Six pages covering three very different events taking place over the next few months that you really mustn’t miss: Decorative, Eclectic and Reclaimed
- The Captain’s HQ - Karyn Sparks pins down a globetrotting gent in the appropriately tweedy county of Norfolk and asks him some searching questions
- Doing the Circuit - A look at Paul Stewart’s busy diary reveals an eventful year at Brooklands Museum
- Eight Great Vintage & Motoring Events - Your ten page guide
- VE News - A round-up of what’s happening in the world of Vintage and Antiques
- Events in April/May