We have a little bit of a boozy start to this issue...
First up, we join fashion photographer Su Barclay on a shoot at a charming spit and sawdust Cider farm in rural Somerset that has been touched with a little celebrity magic – including a visit from the anonymous Banksy!
Then I’ll take you for a peek inside one of the nest Jacobean manor houses in the West (also seen featured on our front cover), which was saved from certain ruin by the current owners. Today, they produce their very own small batch gin from their beautiful home, using the Newton House Estate’s own spring water! Yes of course, I’ve tried it... it would have been rude not to...
We’ll then hot-foot it from the beautiful South West to Central London, where a 1950s home in Spitalfields lays bare its humble beginnings as an industrial unit, and has now blossomed into a light and modern living space, laden with Mid-century treasures.
Heading up North, we meet a dealer who has an eye for turning trash into treasure. He started by supplying statement pieces to restaurant chains and quickly hit the big time when he became the go-to- man for movie props from the likes of Pinewood Studios!
Crossing the design waters to the USA, we indulge you in the large-scale, ambitious, gallery- quality works of art by Curtis Jeré, and take an in-depth look at the American genius, Norman Bel Geddes, whose ideas were so out there, that he could only have been dropped on this planet from outer space!
After all this virtual visiting, why not join us in the flesh at the bi-annual Brussels Design Market in September? We’ll be collecting together (as will the other 99 dealers), our very best stock in anticipation of this great event. You can find out more on page 42, and I hope to catch up with you there.
In the meantime, I’m off to the Newton House Gin & Jazz Evening – and will be sharing my gin- antics in the next VE blog – cheers!
Issue 35 - Aug/Sept 2017
- Auction Explorer - A roundup of forthcoming sales, news and results
- Proper Job - Wilkins Cider Farm - as seen through the eyes of fashion photographer Su Barclay
- Gin and Jazz at the Manor - It seems, no matter what period of home you live in, there’s always room for a little vintage nostalgia...
- City Living - We take a look inside a 1950s home in Spitalfields, quite uncharacteristic of the local Georgian architecture
- Eccentric Art - The imaginative powers of the designers of Curtis Jere pieces, range from the realistic to the highly abstract
- Bel Geddes - The Forgotten Genius - Welcome to the future - just as Norman Bel Geddes imagined it!
- One Man’s Trash... Meet dealer Richard Walton - the go-to-man for many a props department
- The Brussels Buzz - A great rendezvous for design lovers and professionals, dealers and collectors - the Brussels Design Market returns this September
- Back to Bruton - The Bruton Decorative Fair returns to the Haynes International Motor Museum in October
VE News - A round-up of what’s happening in the world of Vintage and Antiques
Events in August/September